United Nations Security Council is toothless…only able to gum out words of condemnation and not able to protect innocent civilians against the genocide happening in Syria at the hands of al-Assad.
Here is a simplistic approach proving the impotence of the UN SC using some of its own resolutions on Syria over a period of two and a half years:
· 4.14.12 UN Security Council Resolution 2042 – calling for cessation of violence in Syria. It’s December 2014. There has been no cessation of violence.
· 4.21.12 UN Security Council Resolution 2043 – calling for cessation of violence in Syria. It’s December 2014. There has been no cessation of violence.
· 5.27.12 UN High Commissioner for Human Rights stated that acts of violence in Syria may account to crimes against humanity or other forms of international crimes…It’s December 2014 and the crimes against humanity and flagrant disregard for international law is still occurring by the Syrian Regime. Sure, other parties may also be carrying out similar crimes but nowhere near the scale of al-Assad.
· 8.7.12 UN General Assembly Resolution 66/253 calling on UN Security Council to uphold is Resolutions 2042 and 2043 It’s December 2014. The SC still has not upheld it’s two 2012 resolutions
· 2.22.14 UN Security Council Resolution 2139 was passed by a unanimous vote of on February 22, 2014.Resolution 2139 called on all parties in the Syrian Civil War to permit free access to humanitarian aid. It’s December 2014. A meager attempt at allowing humanitarian aid into a few areas occurred and were immediately halted due to Assad regime not approving access to humanitarians.
· 7.16.14 United Nations Security Council Resolution 2165 was passed permitting humanitarian access and aid to Syria. It’s December 2014. A meager attempt at allowing humanitarian aid into a few areas occurred and were immediately halted due to Assad regime not approving access to humanitarians.
The UN made these resolutions all the while ‘reaffirming its strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, unity and territorial integrity of the Syrian Arab Republic’. While al-Assad is on a genocidal rampage.